Stay on top of your money while you study
Save Your Way
No monthly fees
- No minimum balance required
- Unlimited chequing account transactions
Bank Your Way
Free INTERAC e-Transfer®
- Free withdrawals from your account at HSBC Bank Canada or EXCHANGE® Network ATMs
- Free mobile cheque deposit
- Secure Mobile & Online banking
Build and Protect Your Credit History
- HSBC credit card1 with a minimum $1,000 credit limit
- Overdraft protection2 with a minimum $500 limit to cover for occasional shortfalls in your account
Who can apply
The HSBC Student Chequing Account3 is available to
Canadian residents (Canada residential address), and
- At least 17 years old, and
- Enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian post-secondary school education program
Information you’ll need to have on hand to apply
Your current email address and telephone number
- Primary addresses you've lived at for the last 3 years
- Proof of full-time enrollment in a Canadian post-secondary school program (student ID, school schedule, recent transcript, acceptance letter or letter from Registrar’s Office confirming enrollment)
- Primary ID: Including original, valid government issued photo identification
- Secondary ID: Including original, valid ABM card, Credit Card, College/University Student ID or CNIB Card bearing photo and signature
- Tax residency information including SIN/SSN/TIN (if available)
Open an account
New to HSBC?
Apply online for an HSBC Student Chequing account.
With HSBC EasyI.D. your identity is verified instantly making it faster, easier and more convenient. Before you start, have one of the following pieces of I.D. on-hand (make sure the I.D. you are using hasn’t expired):
- Driver’s Licence or
- Provincial government Issued I.D.
Already a customer?
Or give us a call toll free at 1-877-780-4722
(Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm ET)
Not sure which chequing account is the one for you?
* Terms and conditions apply. Offer value is composed of multiple products, valid from May 16, 2022 to November 30, 2023.
1 HSBC credit card is subject to additional eligibility requirements and credit review and approval.
2 HSBC Overdraft Protection is subject to additional eligibility requirements and standard credit approval. In addition to the Overdraft fees which are set out in the Credit Agreement - Line of Credit or Overdraft, HSBC chequing account service charges apply. Details of applicable service charges can be found in the Personal Service Charges Statement of Disclosure. Terms and conditions of the Credit Agreement – Line of Credit or Overdraft and Personal Banking Agreement apply.
3 The Student Chequing Account is available for full-time post-secondary students with proof of enrollment for a 5-year period after account opening. An additional 2 years will be granted with proof of post-secondary enrollment. You must also be at least 17 years old. When your eligibility period expires, we will notify you and invite you to convert the Student Chequing Account into the right bank account to meet your needs. If you do not take action, the Student Chequing Account will automatically convert to the Performance Chequing Limited Account (see Personal Service Charges Statement of Disclosure for account details and fees) on the date indicated on your notification.
® THE EXCHANGE and Accel logos are registered trademarks of Fiserv, Inc., licensed for use in Canada by FICANEX Services Limited Partnership
®Trade-mark of Interac Inc. Used under license.