Features and benefits
- Account set up in advanceIf you are moving abroad you can open your new chequing account before you leave so it's set up when you arrive. Please allow up to 30 days to process your application. You must meet all HSBC qualifying criteria and document submission requirements.
- Available in 37 countries and regionsOpen an account in 37 different countries and regions including U.S.A., China, U.K., and Hong Kong. Subject to qualifications, status and local country and region laws and regulations.
- Free reviewWe'll review your international needs to ensure your banking needs are met.
- Credit history transferBy transferring your HSBC credit history, it's even easier to continue your banking relationship with us. Subject to qualifications, status and local country and region laws and regulations.
- Processing TimeDue to local country and region laws and regulations, it can take 30 days to process your application. Our Global International Banking Centre team will keep you regularly updated on the progress of your application through telephone and email. If you have any questions, please reach out to your Case Manager during Canadian Business Hours.
Are you moving to Canada?
Explore our International Services to see how HSBC can help you on your international adventures.
Steps to opening an account abroad
A fee may apply to use this service for Non Premier customers1. Please see our Service Charges Brochure for more details. For non HSBC Bank Canada customers, to open an account in another country/region you may be required to open a Canadian HSBC account before your International Account application can be processed.
1. Contact us
Get in touch and start your application at least a month before you need to use your account.
Call our Global International Banking Centre at:
1-888-280-4722 (Toll free North America)
1-604-419-4169 (Outside North America)
(9:00 am - 8:00 pm EST)
2. Complete your application
An HSBC International Case Manager will take the time to get to understand your international banking needs and help complete the application for you. They will be your one point of contact for your application from start to finish.
As part of your application we will request a number of documents to meet local country and region laws, regulations and policies for each application. These include:
- Proof of income
- Source of income
- Other documentation such as a visa may be required
- Proof of address
Your Case Manager will guide you on what documentation is required, alongside your application form that needs to be signed in branch and verified by an HSBC representative.
3. Account opens
Due to local country and region laws and regulations, it can take up to 30 days to process your application. Our Global International Banking Centre team will keep you regularly updated on the progress of your application through telephone and email.
Once your account is opened, you will receive a welcome call from your Case Manager. They will make sure your opening has gone smoothly, you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
The Case Manager will arrange for your welcome package, which includes your debit card and PIN, to be either sent to your mailing address or held for pick-up at a branch of your choice.