Setting you up for success in your studies
Moving to Canada to study? Join our international student GIC program and get the banking essentials you'll need while you're here, including a GIC and a Student Chequing Account for everyday spending.
How it works
If you want to use the Canadian government's Student Direct Stream (SDS) to apply for a fast-track study permit, you must have $10,000 in a GIC.
- By applying to our GIC program, you will open a bank account to receive the funds for your GIC (subject to your application being successful).
- The GIC process will be completed when you visit our branch in Canada.
What's the process?
How does the GIC work?
Why do I need a bank account?
What happens if my visa or study permit is withdrawn or refused?
What does my $10,225 deposit cover?
Things you should know
Who can apply?
You can apply for our international student GIC program if you:
- are 17 or over
- can provide an acceptance letter from a Canadian university/college for the upcoming school term
- have checked you meet the eligibility criteria for the Canadian government's Student Direct Stream
- are able to deposit $10,225 into your GIC
- have ID and other supporting documents you can upload during the application process
What ID and supporting documents will I need to upload?
Apply for our international student GIC program online.
You might also be interested in
Student Chequing Account
A chequing account designed for students, with unlimited transactions and no monthly fee.
Studying in Canada
Make the most of studying in your new home with our range of international services.