Invest your money at a competitive rate knowing your interest is guaranteed – and that you can access your principal if you need to before the end of your investment term.
Is a Canadian Dollar Term Deposit right for you?
A Canadian Dollar Term Deposit may be an ideal investment option if you:
Prefer a safe, secure, fixed-term investment
Want the flexibility of being able to redeem your original investment prior to maturity1
Are looking for a guaranteed rate of return on your savings
Features and benefits
- Plan for the futureYou know what your returns will be over time, which makes retirement and investment planning easier.
- Access your money when you need itHSBC Canadian Dollar Term Deposits are redeemable prior to maturity1.
- Choose from a variety of term lengthsNo matter what your savings goals, you’ll find a term that suits your needs – from 30 days to 5 years. For terms under 30 days, please contact an HSBC branch.
- Renew automatically2You can choose to have your principal or principal plus interest renewed at maturity. If you don’t notify HSBC before your term deposit matures, we will renew it automatically at the prevailing, posted rate (certain restrictions apply).
- Protection for your depositsHSBC Canadian Dollar Term Deposits are eligible for CDIC Deposit Insurance.
Choose your interest option
Earn daily interest that is paid out based on the term you choose and the size of your investment.
With a $500.00 minimum deposit and a 1- to 5-year term, you can choose interest to be paid either monthly, semi-annually, or at maturity.
With a $500.00 minimum deposit, you can choose to have:
- Interest paid monthly on 90-day to 5-year terms
- Interest paid either monthly or at maturity on 90-day to 1-year terms
- Interest paid at maturity on 30-day to 1-year terms
Redeemable prior to maturity with no interest paid. Interest is calculated daily, not compounded and is paid at the interval as opted by you (which may be monthly, semi-annually, annually or at maturity). Rates available on request for deposits of $100,000 or more.
Select Term Deposits and GICs booked through HSBC's Online Banking may be eligible for special pricing. Log on to Online Banking for more details.
Rates are subject to change without notice. For information and to confirm most recent rates, please contact any HSBC branch.
How to apply
New to HSBC?
Call toll-free 1-888-310-4722.
Existing HSBC customers
Log on to Personal Internet Banking and select "Open Online".
2 You can opt into our automatic renewal option when purchasing your term deposit. If you don’t notify us before maturity, we will automatically re-invest your deposit (either the principal only or principal and any interest earned) at the interest rate applicable on the date of renewal, to help maximize the growth of your savings. Consult your HSBC branch regarding any eligibility &/or restrictions with setting up an automatic renewal option on your term deposit(s).
Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation
Some HSBC accounts and deposit products up to certain dollar amounts are eligible for insurance under the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act (CDIC). Learn more about CDIC and how CDIC Deposit Insurance works:
• Visit http://www.cdic.ca/
• Read "Protecting Your Deposits." Visit CDIC to download a copy.