Banking for seniors
Your banking needs change through every stage of life. For example, as you move into retirement, your financial needs and obligations will change. We’re here to support you every step of the way.
This useful guide covers some important topics:
- Managing your money
- Protecting yourself from fraud and scams
- Planning for retirement
- Different ways to bank with us, including what you can do in online and mobile banking
A guide for our senior customers
Advice and support
Managing your money
We want to help you bank with confidence as well as to plan for a secure financial future.
- Seniors discount – If you’re over 60, we can waive the monthly fee for Performance Unlimited chequing accounts. To request your discount, contact us at 1-888-310-4722 or visit your branch.
- Letting other people manage your money - If you need to give someone authority over your bank account, you have options. Have a look at our information on Powers of Attorney and joint accounts.
Safeguarding your money
It’s important to be aware of financial crimes so you can protect yourself and your finances from fraud.
- Check out the examples in our Know your banking guide
- HSBC Security Guarantee
Planning for retirement
Our retirement savings tips also help you learn how to get the most out of your RRSP contribution. Use our calculators to help you see how your savings can grow.
Access the online tools and information by visiting hsbc.ca/retirement, including a useful retirement planning calculator.
Different ways to bank with us
You can access your money at a branch, or conveniently and securely through online, mobile and telephone banking.
Need help with registration? Follow step-by-step instructions in the guide below:
Resources on fraud awareness and financial abuse:
- RCMP Seniors Guidebook to Safety and Security
- Canadian Securities Administrators – financial abuse
- Alberta | CheckFirst
- BC | InvestRight
- Manitoba | MoneySmart Manitoba
- New Brunswick | Finances 50+
- Nova Scotia | Investing information for seniors
- Ontario | Get Smarter About Money
- Québec | Guide for protecting vulnerable clients
- Saskatchewan | Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority – senior financial abuse
You may also be interested in
Registered Retirement Income Fund
Enjoy your retirement with access to the income you need.
Do you know what it may take to create a secure retirement? Use this calculator to help you create a simple retirement plan.
How we protect you
We do everything we can to prevent online fraud and to keep your personal information and your money safe.